Why Single Parents Should Take Estate Planning Seriously
Posted June 6, 2023
Estate planning does not strike fun in the minds of most, but it is important that it is approached in a serious and personalized manner, especially for single parents. Below are a few of the most important reasons why a single parent might want to take steps in planning their estate and later making updates to the plan to account for life’s twists and turns:
- Protecting Children: Estate planning allows you to ensure the well-being and financial security of your children after you pass. It allows you to consider guardian appointments for your minor children, which would ensure they are cared for by someone you trust.
- Asset Distribution: Estate planning enables you to determine how your assets will be distributed among your children and other beneficiaries.
- Financial Stability: As a single parent, your passing could create financial hardships for your children, especially if their other parent has passed or is unable to provide financial support. Thus, an estate plan can prepare you to provide for your children’s future education, healthcare, and general well-being.
- Minimizing Taxes and Expenses: Having an estate plan may help to limits taxes and expenses associated you’re your Estate, which could result in a larger inheritance left for your children.
- Planning for Special Needs: If you have a child with special needs, an estate plan is crucial to maintaining the style of living they are accustomed to while also ensuring their medical requirements are met.
- Peace of Mind: Having a comprehensive estate plan in place provides peace of mind for both you and your children.
Although estate planning may appear overwhelming, our team is focused and dedicated on assisting you with working through the details necessary to establish a thoughtful estate plan for your unique situation. As a single parent, it is imperative that you are prepared for any contingencies that life throws your way. Please contact us and we would be happy to assist you!
Our Office Locations
Our offices are strategically located throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York.
- Office 856.853.5530
- Fax 856.354.8318
- Office 201.843.5858
- Fax 201.843.5877
- Office 610.691.7900
- Fax 610.691.0841